“Every culture ever has operated under the illusion that it understand 95% of Reality and the other 5% would be delivered in the next 18 month. From Egypt forward mankind has been running around believing they had a perfect grip on things and yet we look back at every society that preceded us with great smugness at how naive they all were. Well, it never occurs to us, then, that maybe we’re whistling in the dark too! “
— Terence McKenna
Doubt, Confusion and Not-knowing-what-to-think-or-do. We all know it. It feels uncomfortable, sometimes even downright terrible like we’re going insane. We want it to stop. We want to move away from it. And that for good reason: When we are in doubt our decision-making is halted and therefore we’re unable to take any action. But let me tell you this: Doubt is good and here is why.
There is pain, yes, but something extraodinary valuable to be gained which is overlooked by our short-term thinking, pleasure-maximizing, pain-minimizing mind.
During our growing up our minds get filled up by all kinds of teachings, imprints, believes and worldviews. Where does all this come from? Everything comes from our parents, family, friends, teachers, internet, news, media and advertising. By the time we are young adults our minds are full. There is one big, cohesive worldview in place that explains all our experiences and from which we operate on a daily basis.
When does doubt and confusion arise?
When we encounter something that doesn’t fit our view on ourselves and the world in general. Boy, can this be painful! Because now there is the possibility that something we thought might turn out to be wrong. This could mean that our behavior in the past , which was grounded in the belief-in-question, is also wrong.
“Holy shit, I was wrong the whole time.”
Yes you were wrong, maybe even terribly wrong and deluded but see it that way: Now you have the opportunity to know and do better for the rest of your life! The valuable “life lesson” is to be gained. From now on you understand the world and yourself better.
You earned this knowledge all by yourself!
It was not given to you for free by some external source. You “paid” for this new understanding by going through that painful episode of doubt, confusion, admitting that you were wrong and then shedding an old belief that you have grown attached to. You have refined your worldview, and no one can take that from you. Be proud, you earned it. You have grown and matured.
You are one step closer to the “truth” and i applaud you 🙂
Thanks for reading!
That is the article for today. Don’t forget to leave your mail in the subscribe-box at the bottom of the page! This way you get notifications when I post something new. No spam or ads, guaranteed!
Here are some more links, to articles I deem very important for life. Go check them out!